Saturday, December 04, 2010

I am an alcoholic

I have been an alcoholic since i was probably 13 / 14 years old. I would never bore myself with the history of how I got here, today, as an out-of-control drinker. And when I go to the doctor for whatever reason, they ask me if I want help with my drinking. Do i want to talk to a psychiatrist, go to rehab, attend meetings and I always say, with true honesty, no.

I don't want to quit drinking. I LOVE to drink. I love all the charm, warmth and joy that comes with drinking; I just cannot stop at that point. It's like a switch goes off in my head and i absolutely HAVE to continue drinking. It's not a scary thing, in the moment...it just happens. No matter how much I tell myself it WON'T happen this time, it, more often than not, does.

So, by some miracle in the universe, my exasperated and helpless brother sent me an iphone app (LOVE iphone) about a treatment for alcoholics called The Sinclair Method. I perused the site here and there mildly interested. Then I decided I would at least order the book.

I just read it cover to cover and I am absolutely convinced this is EXACTLY what I would be looking for if I knew what i was looking for. In a nutshell, one can drink socially while taking this medication. And that is all i ever wanted...

Monday, I'm making my appt and if i have to take hostages to get that prescription, well that's just what I'll do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

if it makes you feel any better - Me too!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

misery finds comfort in company.

i'll let you know how it works for me then!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

"how" alcoholic are you -
I am a binjer - the functioning alcoholic as they say...I dont always get sheets to the wind!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

Actually, i'm a total binge drinker too. that's the problem. i'm fine without it when i'm without it. it's when i start, the cycle starts. and not always. just if i'm out hving fun...who wants tso stop!!!! (actually even when i'm home cleaning...WHO WAN'TS TO STOP!)

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home