Monday, March 27, 2006

can you say "stress"?

This was a stressful weekend. My car died; $880 was my quote from “Honest” Engine. Got another quote, though, for $561. Remember: my car is worth $20. Betsy, the dog at the Merced Shelter, is on death row. She’s to be put to sleep any day now. My Solar tube that cost $115 is now costing me about $1,000 because my brother just can't seem to do the job and etc. My house is a mess. That’s always a given. I bought lots of veggies to plant and, yet, my green house is still in its box.

Friday night, without a car, I lie in bed thinking about Betsy. I’m selfish. She’ll create more drama than I’m comfortable with. She’ll make my house stinkier. What if she pees in my house? I’m selfish. She’s had a horrible life from the day she was born. For cripes sake they left her IN THE BACK YARD WHEN HER OWNERS MOVED OUT WITH THE GARBAGE AND WITH NO FOOD OR WATER!!. Is this the life she’s supposed to know? Then she’ll be put to sleep and that’s it for her? I got an email from the shelter. She is, indeed, on the put-to-sleep list. Well…now I can’t sleep. I email Diane from the rescue and tell her to just get her out; I’ll figure it out later.

Saturday morning, I get her. She’s skin and bones and cowering waiting for her next “blow”. I assure her I will not beat her. She smears crap in Pengs car, she’s coughing and shaking her head as her ears are bloody with mess.

We take her to the launder dog and clean her off. Poor girl is terrified. I bring her home and take a long walk with Kody. They get along on the walk even though she has no idea how to walk. And she’s still waiting for the next blow to her body, head, whatever. She has no idea from this day forward she will never be hit again nor starved nor lacking for love.

Long story short, my car costed (for lack of a better word) $60 – just needed fluid, skylight costed more than I wanted but the guys were so wonderful I was glad to give them more, my greenhouse is built (thanks to Peng) and Betsy is alive today.

Bottom line? I do hate living; but sometimes, things like Betsy, nice & honest construction guys, a cheap car repair and a beautiful greenhouse make it just a little bit better…

8 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

you're a life saver. What a gal!

12:00 PM  
Blogger ads510 said...

i hope things go smoothly with betsy, and if they don't, i hope you can find another person as caring as you to take her in!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

You have the biggest heart, that's why we all love you <3 Thanks for being such an awesome person. Glad to hear your car isn't dead dead yet.

1:21 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

such a sweet post!! that was beautiful!!

how is betsy now?

leaving for cali tomorrow . . . .

1:43 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

Aww...i am tooting my own horn but i'm dern tootin' proud of myself for saving her!

and she did pee in my house but that was my fault. we'll all get over it. i'll post pictures if i can ever get my internet up at home.

don't ever go with yahoo/sbc dsl. they suck.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

yeah, yahoo sbc dsl does suck. go comcast. they suck too but not as bad.

9:03 AM  
Blogger deb said...

ok i just read this one to Megan. my throats hurts now.

7:27 AM  
Blogger MikeyPDX said...

Just wonderful. My two rescues weren't in nearly as dire straits as Betsy. I hope things work out for her whether that's with you or some other great 'dog-person'.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home