Friday, March 13, 2009

The Kitchen

Janet and I decided to splurge on an amazing night out of the finest food & drink. It was VERY expensive; but, i have to say...quite worth it.

The restaurant is called the kitchen. You have to arrive between 6:30 and 7 and if you don't, doors are locked and curtains are drawn. BUT, everyone must have arrived promptly because there was not a seat open in da house. (well...these seats were filled later)

Janet and I decided on the Wine Flights which means, for those less sophisticated - like me, you get a glass of wine matched perfectly with each course. At $70 per person, we decided to split the flights. BUT we upgraded to receive champagne first off. And here is our very FIRST course:

You are encouraged to walk around the restaurant, including the kitchen and chat with whomever crosses your path. I'm shy so i just wlked around and took pix...hey..people just started talking to ME!


We meandered out to the courtyard which was beautiful. Wooden benches peppered the area with planters full of gorgeous trees throughout. They had a lovely wall of water that drenched over a small-leafed ivy....here's janet by the WOOD fire, enjoying her first course:

More of the Kitchen:
Chef Noah Zonca in Act I - the preparation and selection of ingredients
The staff. See the guy looking at me? He had tattoos all over his body, including the infamous tear by your eye indicating either a year in prison or one murder? either way, of course he had the hots for me....actaully he didn't and isnt' THAT sad? i can't even attract an inmate!
Here the staff is preparing our first course of Heirloom Cauliflower and Baby Romanesco with Dungeness Crab Thighs, Crispy Speck and Warmed ‘Cocktail’ Hollandaise

Plate clean. i wanted to lick it but i really was trying to appear upscale.
We sat next to the cutest couple ever. Kim & Patrick. They were celebrating their 4 year anniversary. When they first walked in I"m thinking "great...Britney Spears is in the house" Jealous much? Anyway, as God would see fit, He sat her right next to me. Janet encouraged me to talk to them but I really wasn't in the mood. She made the first move and in about 5 minutes, I fell in love. Kim told me after 4 glasses of wine that as soon as I opened my mouth, she leaned over to her husband and whispered "She is so our type of girl". awww...someone loves me!
Second course: A Salad of Red Endive, Frisée and New Lettuces,Stan’s Cured Pork Belly and Blue Cheese Panna Cotta
Again...no surprise here.
Chef Noah preparing Course #3: Organic Chicken Roulade with Truffle Poached Maine Lobster,‘Pearls’ of Preserved Meyer Lemon, Rock Shrimp and Pan Juices

Ta Daaaa!
for the "Intermission" they served sushi and sashimi while people milled about. Janet and i ordered Saki and i'm sorry...after all that fine wine, that was disgusting to me so, believe it or not, i could NOT drink it. When the staff asked if they could remove our glasses they asked why they wree still full...i explained i hated it and they took them BOTH off the bill! now shouldn't every place be like taht?
Course #4 Naturally Raised Piedmontese Beef Tenderloin,with Sieved Potato and Wild Mushrooms,Zinfandel Reduction and Parmesano Reggiano

GOD. I felt so guilty but it was so delicious.

I'm officially a member of the Clean Plate Club.

And for dessert, served with a fabulous port wine: Nancy’s Old Fashioned German Chocolate Cake, Orange-Caramel Glaze, Candied Tanned Walnutsand Espresso-Mascarpone Laced Ice Cream


I actually finished the dessert with a nice decaf...i felt so haughty! (yes i looked it up; it's appropriate)
and the doggy bag of the two bites janet pretended taht she just coulnd't eat! it was embarrassing to ask them to wrap it up but of coruse it was for our babies so who cares>

The whole evening lasted 4 hours and it was such a wonderful experience. I am SUCH a foody so this was a completely orgasmic evening and i have not had one of those in like forever so I thank you The Kitchen! I said i'd only do this once; but, i think i lie....

11 Comments:

Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

I hope you wore your fancy pants!

7:40 PM  
Blogger moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

I love the feeling of trying to feel upscale in a completely upscale place. These people don't know us! lol

And a small question. Not that I care, but, don't you not eat meat ? lol. I am just as bad. Yesterday I had eggs Benedict for the first time in 3.5 years. haha. I love the concept of walking around and seeing all the kitchen. Great place

5:54 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

We've got nothing like that around here! Looked great!

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna go there! We have nothing like that around here either. Thanks for taking those pictures, really fun to see.

Maybe the guy with the tattoo is wanted by the police and you were taking pix of him:-)

7:15 PM  
Blogger moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

lol. i think you are the radest person ever. i like the word rad sometimes.

5:09 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

omg!!! this looks so fun!! i wish we had a restaurant like that...just meandering about, taking photos, eating. how fancy! how fun!! how delicious everything looks. you ate beef tenderloin!!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I've been wanting to try The Kitchen - have heard nothing but good things about it. However, I just can't bring myself to spend the amount that they charge on one meal.
It looks like it was worth it though!

6:56 PM  
Blogger deb said...

maybe someday i'll make it there. what a treat.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Carrie™ said...

Love Janet's top! How come there are no pics of you all dolled up? Sounds like a great night.
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!

4:27 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Um, ew. But you know, I don't judge :P

1:11 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

that all sounded SO GOOD, it almost made me think twice about vegetarianism . . .

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home