Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I warn you...I'm drunk...

...but I think my mind and my heart is (are) in the right place.

My best friend just lost one of her best friends. They spent the last 35 years laughing, living, and hoping together. And now she is gone. She died today. but what she left was loved ones and friends behind that grieve the loss.

I dont' have a lot of the details of their friendship but what i do have is the story behind their common mantra...

The story goes that there was a party at Carol's house. Of course the invites always included the commen "FIVE" janet, debby, carol, susan and the original Janet. After much alcohol was imbibed, my best friend Janet said "I know we're hammered but 'let's ALWAYS be friends'. That simple statement really drove their lives because in marriage, death, children, jobs, etc., that was always true...they were always friends.


When Carol passed, I got an email from Janet...very simple. Carol had passed...we could have hung out longer.


I tried to say that death is not necessarily loss...it's simply a transition. She might be gone but what she left was a woman richer in her life experience BECAUSE of her. she left a woman that is now my friend and i can't help but think becuase of her I got a better friend.

So I thank you Carol...You gave Janet the value of friendship. You taught her to be fun, to be lively, to be appreciative of lifes moments and for that...you've enriched MY life. I don't even know you and look what you've done!

Janet and I may be different but what we've learned together is no matter what we go through that we, too, will "always be friends."

12 Comments:

Blogger Adrianne said...

I am sorry to hear about the loss of a friend. My bestfriend died 10 months ago and every holiday has been a first with out her. It makes you realize that you are not invincible. My friend was 28.

I like this outlook!

"I tried to say that death is not necessarily loss...it's simply a transition. She might be gone but what she left was a woman richer in her life experience BECAUSE of her."

I think I might join you with the drinking now!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

I am sorry to hear about your friends friend- but I like the outlook of always being friends....its not easy being a friend and its even harder being a good friend.....I will toss a couple back for you, for janet and for carol...

10:34 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

But I also have to compliment you on your drunken posting skills. I'm not even that coherent when I'm sober.

11:33 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

People will come and go in your life, but our memories of them last as long as they deserve... You ain't really dead until no one remembers you. R.I.P., and go play the next gig...

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that Janet's friend Carol died. Truly.

For what it's worth...i really like you TK.

1:42 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

sniffle

2:50 PM  
Blogger deb said...

Give Janet a huge hug for me. Janet is wonderful what's not to love. Kinda like you. xxoo

2:57 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

Wow everyone...thank you so much for all the kind thoughts and words...now I'M touched :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Pher said...

God Tanya...
You have such a grip on what life is. I'm so proud of you and your outlook on life. I'm sorry for Janet, tell her I love her and have her in my thoughts. I will pull a couple of HeeHaws draws for you guys today!
Love,
Pher

9:54 AM  
Blogger moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

that was beautifully written. if i lived close i would be there next to you beer in hand

9:45 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

and: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

11:35 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

and: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home