Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Momma Girls

I bought my house around 2001 and when I moved in, the property came equipped with a few squirrels that ran up and down and all around my trees, roof, yard, etc. One of the squirrels was quite brazen and fearless. She just happened to be the mom.

Over the years, I'd talk to her and she'd come up and visit me. Well, actually, she's more like Kody and just wanted something; but, it was just so cute that an undomesticated animal would let me know when she was ready for her peanuts.

When my friends would come over, we'd hang out on the front porch chatting - all of a sudden her little head would pop up over the porch to say "MY PEANUTS???"

Yesterday as I was getting ready for work, I pulled my bike out of the garage and parked it in the driveway so the dogs can watch me get ready from the window. When everything was packed I looked around to make sure no cars were coming, and that's when I saw her. She was laying at the end of my driveway on her side...I walked up to her and spoke very softly; but, she looked bad. I stared at her for about 2 minutes. She took two breaths and then she took no more.

I wrapped her little body in an old flannel shirt and carried her over to a soft garden spot outside my kitchen window to bury her. I was sad. That's 7 years with a sort of 'pet'. That's 7 years of her chasing around her kids, her tearing up my tulip bulbs and gnawing off branches of my trees that I always have to pick up and 7 years of having to buy bags of peanuts for her. Unsalted. Her favorite kind.

She may never ask again; but...just in case she does...here's your little peanuts Mamma Girls.

10 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Ann said...

I'm so sad for you. And although we should be the last people assembling a cross...it was done with much love.

11:44 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

Squirrels are pretty cool animals, sorry you lost a friend...

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm really sorry. She was a lucky little squirrel to have you looking out for her for so long. I think your a good person TK:-)

Robin

4:41 PM  
Blogger Carrieā„¢ said...

OMG TK, this is just the saddest post. At least she had someone with her at the end who cared about her.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

thats pretty...

3:32 AM  
Blogger Adrianne said...

This must have been so heart breaking for you.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is terrible :( I'm sorry about the squirrel... It sounds very special to you.

10:32 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

oh i'm so sorry, how sad!! but what a lovely little remembrance you've made.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

fucking peanuts

1:18 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

oh!!!!

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home