Monday, November 07, 2005

Ode to Bear

Undr likes to share his talent and, when he does, it makes me think of one of my most favoritest poems I'd ever written.

It was for my dog Bear who i got back in 86 and he died in 2000. I still can't read this dedication without welling up in tears. I might not have children; but, if the intensity is greater than that of your buddy, i dont' think i could've handled it...

BEAR

"I’ll take the first one who chews on my laces,
since it’s so hard to choose among all these sweet faces"
You bounded right up and grabbed onto my string
So I bent down to love you, such a sweet little thing
I pondered and spoke "Your name shall be Bear"
Not knowing right then, the life that we’d share

Through good times and bad you’ve stood by my side
My silent friend whom I’d always confide
Your sweetness you’d share to all that came near
They’d love you and hug you and say "What a dear!"
An angel from heaven, my cherished gift from above,
How could I thank you for such a treasure of love?

Through my darkest days and all my numerous fears
You would gently and kindly kiss away all my tears
When things were too much and my heart was in pain
You would be silent and present and nuzzle me sane

I rose above all with you by my side
I’d look at you lovingly and sprinkled with pride
You are silly and happy and overwhelmed with sheer joy
For my happiness you cared for, my faithful old boy

Well some years have now passed; your walk has slowed down
It’s my turn to be there to help you around
Your face has grown gentle from the passing of time
I am so thankful to God that you have been mine

Your time has now come, and I have you so near
I hold you and whisper "You have nothing to fear
For I will be with you right down to the end
Because you are my very, my very best friend"

Yes I will be with you, as you were for me
I’ll be as strong as I can, while you are set free
Goodbye my sweet pal, off to the bridge you do go
To be young and be healthy as you were years ago
My sorrow is deep, your love nothing replaces
But I’d give my whole world
To see you chew on my laces...

Aw, shit...see???? I love you, Bear...xxxxxx

7 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

thanks undr...i rather love it too. i'm gonna post his pix when i get home.

3:53 PM  
Blogger MikeyPDX said...

*snif*

Darn you, TK... :)

5:15 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

sniff.


i'm glad you are so open about sharing your love for all creatures. it encourages me to be a better person.

10:28 AM  
Blogger ads510 said...

what a beautiful doggy he was. and yes, I'm totally crying. I'm a sap, what can I say?

12:27 PM  
Blogger ramblin' girl said...

taht was incredibly beautiful. thanks for sharing with us!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Tanya. Very touching.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

That was so beautiful…sniff. Look what you done, I’m all lachrymose and shit here at my desk. What a handsome boy.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home