Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Thanksgiving?

I saw'r March of the Penguins last night and although it was so beautiful and amazing, it was very sad. The only good thing was their perils had nothing to do with mans interference. shockingly so.

Their instincts were incredible and it reminded me of when i was at The Animal Place helping them dust the chickens and spray their legs with a linseed oil concoction. I was leaning against the barn under an overhang when all the chickens came charging at me! i was like "what the shit was that?" and someone said "Hawk."

These little chickens have been crammed in a cage no larger than a milk box their entire lives, never seeing the sun or breathing fresh air and yet they instinctually know: big bird flying over head = bad: run!

Also, when they step on to dirt for the very first times in their tortuous lives after being rescued, they start to "scratch" at the dirt foraging for insects.

So when I used to justify the cruelties of factory farms, I would say "well they've never known anything different so it can't be all that bad"; but, it is all that bad. Becuase they know. They instinctually and intuitively know that they are unable to spread their wings and feel the sun on their backs or lean in to a fragrant breeze or scratch at the dirt and fluff it in their wings for the coolness...

Sometimes I forget how horrific it is for them in there; but, I owe it to them to remember and make others know. I'm so happy that i've chosen to give up meat; it makes me feel good that as rotten as I can be, I at least don't partake in that cruelty. I'm even drinking vegan beer now! yay!

If everyone gave up one meal a day of meat, it would cut meat consumption a mind boggling amount. just one meal per day. or hell, per week! The new yeeeeeaaar is coming...sounds like a good resolution to me!

6 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

you're such a crusader. I don't eat SO much meat anymore. Just cuz it's so damn heavy. Especially beef. I rarely eat beef anymore. And amazingly enough I chose cheese filling inside my enchiladas and I get tacos with no meat. Crazy, I know. :)

9:48 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

pic are finally up on my blog . . . ok, i'm gonna read your post now . . .

1:20 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

eat less meat. good resolution indeed.

i have proudly gotten jon to like tofu . . . it took me a long time, but i finally got him to like it!

1:22 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

i once saw a global warming awareness add with kevin bacon in it that said "6 degrees. that's the amount the temperature of the earth will rise in our children's lifetime"
clever. and true. and scary.

12:29 PM  
Blogger kt said...

i SO love penguins!

here's a penguin picture that about made me pee my pants when i saw it..

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/ktbargains/penguin2.jpg

2:33 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

I have March of the Penguins on my Netflix queue. Off topic: just saw Hotel Rwanda, it was an incredible (and deeply disturbing!) film.

Meat free since 1994 :) Gradually I’m trying to switch my dairy and eggs out with substitutes, but I don’t know if I’ll ever be entirely off the cheese. Mmmm…cheese…

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home