Tuesday, October 28, 2008

No on 8

I thought there is supposed to be a separation of church & state? Isn't marriage considered a religious event? What difference does it make if two people want to join together legally? Like the bumper stickers say "Not for gay marriage? Don't have one."

But for the sake of an argument, let's say in the beginning of time it was Adam & Steve. I know, pretty sure, i'm actually physically attracted to men. It's in my genes (or in my jeans as i'd hope)...but, what if society tells me i HAVE to be with a woman because that's what the bible says! unless it's Angelina Jolie, i gots some problems.

what i woudln't want, is someone telling me who i have to love based on THEIR belief of what is right or wrong. I love men. I can look in a mans eyes and tell him "oh my GOD i LOVE you!" but i cannot look at a woman (in that way) and say the same thing. Can't those "yes on 8" people possibly think the same way?

So they say "well, if we let them marry the same sex, what's to stop them from marrying their brother, sister or a goat?" Because, that's illegal! And goats are horrible lovers.

I'm somewhat closed-minded (especially when it comes to Prop 2) but in this case, it ain't none of my business what other people do. Do i want to protect the "sanctity of marriage"? Well...okay. Fine. But should I prevent two people who love each other, however odd that might be to ME, not join together in a life commitment? No.

More bumper stickers: "Why should we prevent gay people from marrying? shouldn't they suffer like the rest of us?"

"If we give gay people rights, then we'll have to give EVERYONE rights!"

The nerve!

Vote HELL no on 8. (and yes...i'm speaking to you, Welly and Left)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, isn't Prop 8 the one on same-sex marriage?

10:47 PM  
Blogger Miraski said...

Hey, Cuz, Thank you for your sane analysis of the situation. Vote NO on Prop 8 - this should NOT be in our CA constitution. And, vote NO on Prop 9 (criminal justice system changes) -- League of Women Voters says it is unnecessary -- go here for more details on the CA LWV's recommendations: http://ca.lwv.org/action/prop0811/index.html

11:44 PM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

sorry. i keep getting the prop # wrong. no on 9 has a nicer flow. i voted no on 9 anyway. AND no on 8. heh..heh....?

6:51 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

Well, I'd like to see lawmakers take off a stupid, outdated law, everytime they add a new one...

7:06 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

I'm glad you're a patriot and voted.. I'm glad you voted for the right causes... I hope you learn your numbers soon- you're management now... Heeheehee..

1:42 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

god I love the line.."shouldn't they suffer like the rest of us?"!!!! HAHAHA!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Michelle Ann said...

It almost seems like a ridiculous discussion at this point. Most states honor a domestic partnership which is a legal bond between two people of the same sex. We are ALREADY there. Therefore, it seems like the people have already spoken. I have gay friends and have attended committment ceremonies...and those people are STILL together. I was able to legally marry and just like so many others, find myself divorced. So who has it right?

7:44 AM  
Blogger Sully Sullivan said...

I think Angelina Jolie is overrated.

Anyhow, you make a great point. Let's turn the tables on all these "yes on 8" people and tell them that, by law, they can only love members of their own sex. That would be a funny experiment.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I too will be voting NO EFFING WAY on 8.
I look at it this way:
One hundred years ago, women didn’t have the right to vote. Sixty years ago, minorities weren’t provided the same rights to marriage and basic education that the white majority were. Women were restricted from enrolling in the same colleges and universities that men were.
The civil rights movements of the 1950’s and 1960’s gradually changed all of this. Because of the civil rights movement, I benefited. I feel that because I benefited from these movements, many of which were led by gays and lesbians in the hopes that one day the same rights would extend to them, I feel that it is my inherent responsibility to continue this civil rights movement; a type of “pay it forward”, if you will.

11:15 PM  
Blogger moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

I am happy I am Canadian, and i can marry my girlfriend in peace.

Yay for Gay Marriages! It is a love between 2 people. You cannot stop who you love. Can't we all just get along ??

7:55 AM  
Blogger Travis said...

Myself and a lot of my friends have been spreading "no on prop 8" e-mails, signs, etc. etc. out there.

Apparently there seems to be a lot more "YES ON 8" signs etc. floating around the bay area which is making people freak out, being that SF and what not is like...the gay mecca lol.

Anywho, yay you for doing the right thing, cuz if you didn't, I know where you live and I would have to kick you in the vagina.

Oh and yes, I did move to Austin, trying to find your god damn e-mail address so I can e-mail you something but for the life of me, I always lose it.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home