Monday, June 19, 2006

recharged weekend

Kleo was right. a good weekend might be just what one needs.

Saturday kevin and i did a 24 mile bike ride R/T to sunrise avenue where we had the BEST nutburgers in the world (after 12 miles in the hot sun, poop would have tasted good)...

on the way back, i saw a photo i could not pass up. kinda cool...i think i have a new career here can you tell what it is?

the bridge (hint) was the start of our ride home...It was almost a hundred degrees and i was tired. we still had to go to Sheilas for MARGARITAS! Course i magically found wind to do that.. we didn't stay too long but long enough for me to have 4 cocktails.

the next morning we had to be up by 6 to go white water rafting. that was not easy. i wasn't sick, just woozy and a tad bit scared that today might be the last day of my life. Hey...it happens! And it didn't help that our awesome guide spent about 15 minutes talking about every bad thing that could happen. Oars are plastic axes, the t-bar end is a weapon and can take your eye out, if you fall out be sure you can see your toes in front of you, if your foot gets stuck, don't even care if there is a rebar through your foot, pull it up anyway, etc., etc., etc. can i just meet you guys at the end?

we got on the water about 8:30 and it was really beautiful out. almost cold. we had a few loopteeloos (as our guide called them) but nothing serious until we got to Troublemaker. i barely started to try to paddle over the tumultuous water when i felt my butt slipping off the side and i began to fold like a bad poker hand. in slow motion i saw a strap i needed to grab on to but i couldn't get a grip. a million thoughts went through my head but none were of the instruction i'd received earlier on what to do if you fall out of the raft. and i ddin't care. if i fell in to THAT shit, i'm dying.

thank GOD kevin saw my dilemma, grabbed my life jacket and pulled me back in to the boat! my HERO!!!

that was the scariest part of my day. i was shaking and breathing hard and my heart was pounding. and i was nervously giggling. the rest of the trip was exhiliarting too but i never came close to falling out which is all right with me.

After the trip we went to Placerville and checked out this really cool restaurant, at the suggestion of my neighbor, called the Cosmic Cafe. they built this cafe right outside an actual mine shaft! and this is deep inside the restaurant: it was pretty trippy to think we were in a place that was very active a few hundred years ago. apparantely the whole town is haunted which kept our conversation lively until we FINALLY got to head home.

i showered, changed and tried to read but was out in 2 minutes...

off to check everyone's blogs now! it's monday, and i don't feel bad...yay!!!

14 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

you should totally go on fear factor!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Monday boooo! Glad you had a good weekend. One time my family went white water rafting in the Snake River, I think I was about 12. The guide got catapulted from the back of the raft and landed on my sister. I thought that was awesome. I rollerbladed in front of people on the Venice Boardwalk on Saturday, that’s about as daring as my weekend got. I didn’t fall or make an ass of myself or anything, and at no point was I bleeding or causing others to bleed. I am willing to call it a complete success.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I worked. That's my joy of the weekend. :P

Girl, you need some SUN! ;)

It's so funny when you talk about these places cuz my parents live near Sac and I know everything you are talking about. I LOVE Placerville!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Senor Guano said...

Would that nut burger be from the Sun Flower INN in Fair Oaks?

10:32 AM  
Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

hell no. i'd have to eat bugs or some disgusting shit like that and there is NO way i could do that.

i love blading . i'm proud of you! it must've beena grand weekend for that too! 12? you need to get back out there. it is WAY fun.

i am as white as a marshmallow. everyone was making fun of me saturday. so bad. oh well...i'm irish; what can i say?

YES!!! i love that place. kev and i went there when i was fasting and i told him as soon as i can eat, we're comign back here. so frickin' good.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Senor Guano said...

Being a carnivore, I still like that place.
Those nut burgers are good.
I know what you mean about the heat. It was warm early both days when I was out running.

10:46 AM  
Blogger KleoPatra said...

You brave soul you! Rafting, wooooooooooo. That's one sports event i don't have the balls for!

What a great weekend you had. And you deserved it, what can I say??

That photograph of you laughing filled my heart with joy. You look HAPPY, i don't care that it was after a drink or two. I likes what i sees.

11:18 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

wow, what a weekend!! and look at that restaurant! insanity. if only every bikeride could end in margaritas...

12:55 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

The Sunflower Inn is GREAT - I love Fair Oaks Village though.
I'm going to guess that the photo is the pedestrian foot bridge on the west side of Sunrise Blvd.

I've been to the cosmic cafe in Placerville - that place is great.
Next time you're in Placerville you MUST try ZPies - its down by the parking garage. Gourmet pot pies... mmmmm. The best is the dessert pie - caramel pippin apple. I've never tried their vegetarian entree pie though. But, they do have a good beer selection :)

12:59 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and even more glad that you decided to eat a nut burger instead of poop haha

I had margaritas too! Strawberry flavored.. mmmmm

Teddy

8:32 PM  
Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

this sounds like an amazing weekend! i would just LOVE it ~ all of it, well except almost falling out of the boat. you tell a good story.

11:35 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

mmmmm rafting.


mmmmm food.


mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

1:45 PM  
Blogger karen said...

What an amazing two days you had. You are so brave! I am so scared to go white water rafting. We have had so many people drown here I refuse to go. It seems like every time you read the paper, they're pulling a body out of the water. On a positive note, your pictures are wonderful and you take a great picture!

6:45 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

That looks amazing!!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home