Wednesday, May 16, 2007

GUILTY!

I say enthusiastically but not without a weird heart.

After learning more about the defendant, i'm certain we all made the right decision. I can't go in to detail here on my public blog becuase it involved gangs and many murders. I just don't want to end up being one of those pictures i witnessed in court.

But what I will say is i met some of the finest people ever. Some were similar; most were different; but, we all meshed. Since i'm quite abrasive, i only irritated a few and only on sporadic moments so I'd say they even liked me!

Our jury was picked on Wednesday April 4th, and as I exclaimed before it was like winning the lottery. But i really had no idea what experience i would have during the next 6 weeks.

We met Monday through Thursday and Thursdays were always fiascos. Always. In fact, last Thursday was a normal day - we were all confused...what do we do? things are flowing as they're supposed to! People are here! We're on time! Made ME wanna smoke...but for six weeks, we all ate great (except my tofu jerky...no one seemed too excited about that), we played 7,832 games of Golf and 2,488 games of cribbage and had endless conversations about our lives, work and issues. Some played their own games (jerry on his cell), some did their own thing (Greg with his crosswords) and some tried new experiences (Sarah with checkers)....but every single day we were together, you could tell it was not an effort to be there.

Oh sure, in the beginning, some mumbled about missing work (of COURSE not me), and some mumbled about having things to do but as time went on, you could tell...most started to enjoy their court days. and, like my one not-guilty verdict, one by one, they came to my side. Some even started to mumble about not wanting jury duty to end so soon...

And even after the trial, the judge called us down to his chamber to tell us we were one of the best juries (?) he's ever had. He found us patient, funny, accepting and came with lots of food! we even had a reputation throughout the building as such...aint' that cool?

But to mention something about each one: Rebecca was the giggler. She always laughed heartily. Never was there a courtesy laugh. And her laughs were great...made YOU want to laugh.

Same with Maureen. She was a great story teller. Her, Rebecca, Loretta and Nelda hung tight. And they were a great group. I always felt comforted just when they were together.

Greg was the guy with the greatest blue eyes you'd ever see in your life. He did crosswords every day and would grumpily let me try to finish what he couldnt'...>(I never could) He was the normal guy...quiet and attentive and always on time.

Nelda was just the sweetest of the group. She'd always lose at Golf but never got pissed like i sure would have (I'm a very bad sport) so she was fun to play games with.

Loretta reminded me of my lovely mom. So sweet, smart and thorough. You could count on her to find miniscule points we'd all miss. Thanks Loretta...

Jirina was just great. Calm, poised, poignantly funny and attentive. So was Mark. He was our pilot. He actually flies those huge-ass planes all over the country! that's BRAVE in my book~ you know how i hate to fly...

Now John...I loved John... He was the reason we got many breaks becuase he had to smoke. In fact, at round table he stated "okay everyone! i've got to smoke! let's go!" becuase we were not allowed to be separated druing the delibartions. good for you John....

Holly was a wonderful conversationlist. She told me the story of her friend who, unfortunately, passed away during our time in the trial. But Holly remained positive....it's so very sad to lose someone; but you can gain so much from them while they are here...and that's a good lesson for us all, right? right.

Kris. She was the Legislative analyst and a God send during our deliberations. She clarified stuff so clearly it helped us reach our verdicts so thank you loretta....you grabber you...

RUSS! Russ was our caption. Our foreman...our man that kept us together. he was a very gentle leader than ensured we all got our say. He was the experienced one that we trusted to lead us through the process and he did such a great job. and the one that got me my very-needed pee break. Thanks Russ!

and Farmer...we all loved Farmer. He was feisty. Feisty like don't mess with me, feisty. Try to get him to take off his hat and you'll see what i mean...but he gave in when i wnted to extend jury duty one more day and i gave him a short day there after so we're even....

Ray...I loved Ray. He was my cribbage mentor. He was also gracious when i kicked his ass in cribbage twice...htat means SKUNK for those of you more unfamiliar with this game. But he was sweet about his losses and he went on to kick MY ass 28 times after that....frick.

And Robert. I loved Robert. He was the cool guy. Alwyas coming in just before the hour. never really took good notes but assured me he'd use mine. Let me lean on him when our elevator was super crowded. He was good. Good.

Which brings me to Bill. Also good. Cool, smart, funny, savvy, clever....reminded me of my favorite comforter. Love having him around because he was ... well, comforting. Loved your comment about being married too...i can relate.

and last but never least was Sarah. She was my jury buddy. She was with me in the very beginning before we got picked. she was the one who i blamed when i tlaked too much. and she was the one who actually fell asleep in the box and got us a break. Her notes will tell you the tale of what goes on in the head of a juror who falls asleep during trial. She's the one who graciously fell to the ground as i pushed her aside rushing to the bathroom and just laughed about my assholeness. I love Sarah. (and her dad who interviewed me!)

Don't you think that's cool? Even the bailiffs got to know us individually and say enthusiastically "HI!" "Good morning!!" "You're late!" etc...

So, as I type knowing my duty is now over; i'm sad. But I'm greatful (grateful?). Greatful to have met such wonderful people, learn about the justice system, learn about the greatest snacks of all and learn all the tricks of a good cribbage game...all while getting 6 weeks, fully paid, off from work.

life really was good....

6 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

Looks like a fun group!
i want 6 weeks of jury dity

11:19 PM  
Blogger Shananigans said...

Way to fulfill your civic duty! Sounds like you had a good time and met some great folks.

6:31 AM  
Blogger pinknest said...

what?! you guys took a jury group photo?!? i am flabbergasted. flabbergasted, i say. this is a far cry from my jury duty experiences downtown.

7:15 AM  
Blogger buffalodick said...

What I just read is that you like everyone, once you get to know them. Now what does that say about you? Good things, you under-the-radar-sweetheart ! You fool no one!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

you sure make jury duty sound like fun! I have never even been called. Not once. wah....I think.

1:41 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane said...

mmmmmmmmm cribbage . . .

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home